Lessons in Her Lap {Trifecta}

blogbabushka1

I had long outgrown her soft, comfortable lap but it didn’t stop me from folding myself into it, sinking into the crisp scent of peppermint from a favorite candy that clicked against her false teeth while she soothed me, stroking my blonde curls with gnarled arthritic fingers.

“Babci!” I wailed.

She rocked me, shushing my sobs, ” nie płacz, dziewczynka*, it will be okay.”

Sliding the babushka from her head, it became a delicate hanky she used to wipe the tears from my swollen cheeks.

“Oh dear,  how your heart hurts with love, but it will not break. Not today.”

************************************************

Trifecta is celebrating it’s 99th post

and it’s community judged this week.

Taking a page from the Oxford English Dictionary we were to pick a word & give you 99 words.

The first word reminded me of my late Great-Grandmother who I called Babci (Polish for grandmother).

* nie płacz, dziewczynka is ‘don’t cry , baby girl‘ in Polish.

Like Be the first one who likes this post!
About Kir

Kirsten is a wife after years of dating, a mom after years of infertility & a lover of shoes, words, NYC and TV dramas. A storyteller and daydreamer at heart, this is the place where her stories come to be told. Thanks for visiting.

Comments

1. This is incredible, Kir! The feelings embedded in silence like essential white spaces between words – simply beautiful.

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

oh …you. Nothing I write is Incredible, but I am so glad you liked this, because it’s so personal, she was such a big, dear part of my heart.
      THANK YOU.

• I have to respectfully disagree that nothing you write is incredible because this piece is so beautiful and evocative and yes, incredible.

Oh Momo,
          you gave me a smile this morning, one I needed.
          THANK YOU for the kindness in these words. THANK YOU.

2. Beautiful and moving. Amazing story!

3. Heart-felt writing. Beautifully written… so tender and lovely. :-)
    -HA

HI HA,
      thank you for reading and leaving me such a nice comment. This one did come right from my heart, a sweet memory, a wish to sit in her lap again.
      I appreciate the visit .

4. Very touching!

5. Jean Kovaleski says:

Babci and you ,a beautiful relationship that formed your life and will be forever in your great memories , love you both very much ,Mom

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

She was my south star, you are my North. The two women who shaped my whole life and I love you both so much.
      xo

6. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

And thank you for reading, it means so much to me to share this memory with all of you.

7. Moving and beautifully written! A heart-warming use of the prompt! :)

Lisa,
      thank you so much for this wonderful comment, I am so happy to have my friends read about my Babci and know what she meant to me.

8. What a beautifully written tribute, my dear friend. Makes me miss my grandmothers!

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

THANK YOU for not only reading but leaving me such nice words too. I am glad that it’s giving you good memories, even if we’re missing the people we love. xo

9. I had a very special grandma. I can’t make cookies (chocolate chip) without thinking about her. I loved the sweet way you describe her, her characteristics and her gentleness. This was intensely sweet. Beautiful story and writing, girlfriend!

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

Gina, I can’t imagine you NOT having a special FAMILY, since you are such an incredible person. I love that you think of her when you bake cookies, just like I can’t smell peppermints and not think of mine. I love that pieces like this, bring us happy, joyful memories.

10. I feel like I just witnessed this tender moment. I love the last line. “…but it will not break. Not today” – our hearts must get tougher as they hurt :)

Janna,
      you’re my favorite comment. You did just witness this, it happened exactly like that when I was 16 and had my first real broken heart …she mended everything, always, by just being her.

I’d also like to think that my heart did get tougher, it never broke, just bruised…

so glad you read this. Thank you.

11. This is really sweet. Wonderfully written. :)

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

thank you so much for reading and leaving me such nice words. I am happy that I am able to share my Babci here.

12. It is sometimes the shortest stories that tell the most. That is true talent, my friend! xo

13. Love the detail of having outgrown her lap.
    Such a sweet story, Kir. Love the comfort (and your mom’s comment!!).

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

my mom always said that my Babci loved me most. I loved hearing that, not because it was a competition between my siblings and I , or my cousins and I, but because I knew that she adored me as much as I adored her. Her lap was always the safest, most comfortable place in my childhood.

thank you so much for coming over to read. :)

14. Lovely – I’m just working on a patchwork quilt that I hope will last long enough to be outgrown.

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

oh I’m sure it’s going to beautiful, warm and treasured. The people under it are very lucky indeed.
      thank you so much for stopping by to read, I do love when you visit.

15. Ah! What a lovely story. I love the babushka. I’ll bet it smells wonderfu.

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

it did, she did. Always, like peppermints and vanilla.
      When I miss her, that’s what I can smell.

16. jwilliams057 says:

This is so touching and real. Love just flows all through it. It reminds me of my grandmother.

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

so glad that it reminded you of your grandmother…that is what I wanted to bring the reader. A soft comfortable lap.

17. This was so tender. What better person to turn to with a broken heart, but your grandmother.

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

she mended everything…always. She was my north star and I miss her so much now, esp now when I wish she could see her great-great grandchildren (she was my great grandmother).

thank you for reading this, I was waiting for you to visit. :)

18. Oh Kir, this was beautiful! I’ve often wished my grandparents and great grandparents could still be around-there is so much I could learn from them, now that I’m an adult.

Thanks for such a poignant and touching and heart warming story, my friend:)

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

Oh Val, I am so happy that you came by to read. Your comment just made me smile and warmed me up.

I always wish that she was still here too, to see her great great grandsons, I know she’d love them so…but I tell the stories and I remember how her lap just fixed so many things for me.

hope you’re having a great week my friend. XO

19. Wonderful, Kir. Their entire relationship shines from these few words. And then to read your mom’s comment. A beautiful package, like you. xo

HI Steph!
      I loved sharing her with you, I’ve been missing her and I really enjoyed being able to bring her to life, one more time, here in this space.

you make me smile…thank you so much for that. XO

20. What a great scene!

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

why thank you Draug, I do love when you find something I wrote worthy of a comment.
      Hope you’re having a good week!

21. A beautiful tender scene.

22. So lovely! I felt the warmth and love coming through the screen!

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

oh thank you! It was love, pure, gentle and supportive. She mended me often and I’ll always love her for that.

thank you!!!!

23. Oh, I love love love that last line. Exactly the perfect thing to say. Beautiful, Kir!

HI my friend.
      Babci fixed everything for me and that is why I loved her so, she was one of the “great loves” of my life.
      thank you for visiting, you know I love having you here.

24. Brings back similar memories for me. Thanks.

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

I am so glad you liked it, that it brought you good, sweet memories. That was the plan when I shared her with all of you.

thank you for the visit!

25. That’s what babushka is. I really wanted to use that word but wasn’t comfortable conjuring up something unfamiliar. You have painted such a tender picture, children always cherish their grandparents.

26. kdillmanjones says:

So lovely, the images and the words of wisdom from a beloved babushka.

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

oh thank you. She was beloved and I truly enjoyed sharing her with all of you.
      Hope you’re having a good week

27. Very tender Kir, this is wonderful and tender… and still so nice and openended…

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

thank you Bjorn…she was those two things (wonderful and tender ) so I accept this comment with open arms. I loved sharing her with my friends of the internet.

28. Oh Kir,this is so sweet!Loved the way you portrayed her a both wise and warm:-)Made me wish I had a Grandma like that but am glad that at least my daughter did-though unfortunately, it was only for 14 years of her life!It’s a special bond and only lucky people get to experience that.

29. Oh, Kir! This truly gave me chills. Such a lovely scene. I LOVE what the grandmother says at the end. So touching, so tender.

My maternal grandmother (who–from what I’ve heard–was a wonderful lady) died years before I was born, and my paternal grandmother was not the lovey-dovey type. Far from it. So, this is not my reality. But my kids have been blessed in that department. I am so grateful they have a relationship with my mom like you so beautifully depicted here.

Well done, my friend!

30. What an emotionally charged scene you write in those 99 words. May there always be that lap to go to, even just in memories and lessons like this. Thanks for linking up and don’t forget to come back and vote!

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

Being able to share my Babci with 100 other people this week has been a gift. THANK YOU for that.

and yes, I wish everyone a lap like hers, one that mended and loved.

TGIF my friends.

31. stayed with me. The most powerful thing any writing can do. Very nicely done.

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

I am humbled by this comment. Thank you. I love that it stayed with you, I am teary with it.

have a great weekend.

32. So beautiful and reminiscent of childhood moments with wise and loving grandparents. You’ve captured the subtleties of solace. I love this, Kir! My last vote goes to you.

Oh Joanne,
      I am just humbled that you liked it. Truly. I would never ask for a vote, honestly just getting to share my Babci with 100 other writers this week has been a gift for me. I didn’t know how much I was missing her.

thank you, thank you…so much Joanne. Have a beautiful weekend.

33. Ah, what a beautiful mix of tenderness and strength. Lovely Kir!

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

I take ANY comment or compliment from you and tuck it inside my heart. THANK YOU for visiting.

34. Beautiful! I was actually wondering if you were going to use that one for your prompt – I’m so glad you brought it to life like you did =)

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

I could not see babushka and not have a tender, wonderful memory of my Babci. It has been such an incredible week sharing this with the Trifecta folks. I didn’t know how much I was missing her.

thank you t, I am so happy to see you here.

hemanes_alisha ruesch_soledad@mailxu.com