Stand Alone {Studio30Plus/Velvet Verbosity/Write On Edge}

I tried to meet his eyes, with the canned laughter of a sitcom blaring around us, standing in our living room.

Too afraid to attempt this confrontation anywhere else, I’d dismissed our master suite for fear of succumbing to a deluge of his deceptive words of love. And holding court in the kitchen, with its cheery yellow curtains billowing above the wooden block of knives, would just smack of hypocrisy.

I cleared my throat.

He never took his eyes off the screen.

“I told you, she didn’t mean a thing to me.”

“ But, ” I countered,  “He meant something to me.”

***************************

I missed a link up with Write on Edge but I wanted to use the quote:

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

also linking up LOVE (3rd definition of “passion/want” )
with Studio30Plus

and Smack

Velvet Verbosity 100 Word Challenge

for 100 Word Challenge  with
Velvet Verbosity

In my  “Write Your First Novel”  class we were discussing POV and this is based on something I’d written in 3 minutes in that class.

Like Be the first one who likes this post!
About Kir

Kirsten is a wife after years of dating, a mom after years of infertility & a lover of shoes, words, NYC and TV dramas. A storyteller and daydreamer at heart, this is the place where her stories come to be told. Thanks for visiting.

Comments

1. Kir, this is great. I love your second paragraph the most, the images you set up are real and revealing and your ending is a kicker. Have a great weekend!
    Laura Alonso recently shared…You say goodbye, I say helloMy Profile

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

HI Laura,
      thank you, not only for coming over to read it but for this comment and seeing it from both perspectives.
      I tried to get inside her head and heart, to show that infidelities are not always an emotionless situation. I’m glad that came across.

2. Nicely done! I love that he thinks it’s about his actions, but she’s telling him it’s about her feelings. Such a different perspective from two people in the midst of one situation.
    angela recently shared…More than prettyMy Profile

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

Ang,
      yes! Exactly. Thank you for seeing that in the words and her counter. Just because his affairs don’t mean anything (to him or to the situation as far as he is concerned) it doesn’t mean that she feels the same way about her own.

3. Wow. Brilliant scene.
    Roxanne recently shared…Things I see on Tinder that make me give them a big fat NOPE.My Profile

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

thank you Rox, so glad you found something you liked in those 100 words. :)

4. Wow! What a double twist for an ending. Having the convo in the kitchen I akin to her doing so on her home turf.
    Debbie recently shared…All RightMy Profile

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

DEBBIE!!!
      the living room was the only neutral place for her, and I’m so glad that comes through in 100 words.
      I love when you visit! Thank you.

5. Oh, wow. This one packed a wallop. I got the feeling that she heard this line from him before, and now he’s got his comeuppance. Good work.
    injaynesworld recently shared…injaynesworld it’s “Forbidden Love…”My Profile

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

it’s more like he doesn’t listen and he wants her to know that what he does isn’t supposed to affect them as a couple but her answer is that when she has her own infidelities, they mean something…that person means something to her.
      I actually liked writing it, trying that kind of person on and seeing how that feels.
      thank you for coming over to read.

6. Oh sister… Powerful punch!

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

my friend, I knew that you would understand and feel the punch of this piece.
      Writing it was an exercise in “saying those things you long to say” but never have reason to.
      So glad you enjoyed it.

7. You didn’t pull any punches on that last line. Perfection!
    Tara R. recently shared…ThresholdMy Profile

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

any compliment from you dear Tara, makes me happy.

I really enjoyed writing that one.

8. Not only do I appreciate the twist, but I’m in awe of how you’ve set a very detailed scene in such a small amount of real estate. Great job, Kir!
    Ericka recently shared…Why Write: Ericka ClayMy Profile

• kpiccini@weichertrealtors.net says:

any compliment from you is appreciated.
      thank you!
      (it was fun to write)

9. *smack* indeed!
    Carrie recently shared…The Barn {Master Class & Write On Edge}My Profile

Trackbacks

1. […] This week’s Studio30 Plus prompt is inspired by Kirsten, “canned laughter.” […]

2. […] by canned laughter originally written by Kir – Studio 30 […]

3. […] Above inspired by Studio30 prompt this week – the phrase canned laughter in Kir’s amazing entry […]

brightly_norbert@mailxu.com baldingertasia@mailxu.com